"My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to accomplish His work." -Jesus Christ (John 4:34)

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Totally Dominated

Thoughts from my devos today....

Proverbs 25:28
"He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls."

Someone who doesn't have self-control is like an invaded city and without walls.

The idea of self-control:
English: Control of one's emotions, desires, or actions by one's own will.
Spanish: Able to dominate your spirit/ self.

Verse insinuates that lack thereof makes you vulnerable...
- to be taken advantage of by others
- w/o strength or protection
- unable to grow/ be successful

This characteristic is fruit of God in our lives... abiding, walking with Him. (Gal. 5:22,23)

Controlling myself.
Normally bears the idea of not being one to loose your temper in my mind... I think because the lack thereof is most evident in those moments. But just as pride goes extroverted and inverted, I think self-control does too. Self-control is not just a "defense". I think to look at it as a quality, we must look at it as a whole- being able to control yourself emotionally and physically, not just from anger, but also disappointment, laziness, enjoying the wrong kinds of things, etc. This is the quality of one who moves themselves to not only that soft answer, but also to discipline, looking away, hope, speak what needs to be heard, serve though no one is watching, etc. Perhaps this is how we will weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice.

It's not easy, it's self-control.
In it's most pure and perfect form, it reflects God's presence in our lives. It's learned abiding and walking with Him.

I am selfish, but there is self-control.
I am manipulative, but there is self-control.
I am hurtful words, but there is self-control.
I am lazy, but there is self-control.
I am afraid, but  there is self-control.
I am anxious, but there is self-control.
I am judgmental, but there is self-control.
I am numb, but there is self-control.
I am captivated, but there is self-control.
I am hurt, but there is self-control.
I am proud, but there is self-control.
I am annoyed, but there is self-control.
I am wicked, but there is self-control.

Seems too hard.

I am Camden, but there is God.

It's a gift, it's a tool, it's beautiful.

Lord, teach me to have control over my emotions, desires, and actions so that I am dominating my spirit and myself in a godly way. I pray that I will choose what I know is right and good. That I will be obedient to Your Spirit because I truly believe that You are GOOD and Your way of life is the best way of life. Thank You for Your grace to save me eternally and change me now. I love You and I pray that You will enable me to reflect You in my life. Thank You for self-control and I pray that the good works done through it will cause others to praise Your name because You truly deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment